The Juneau Backcountry(JBC) Blog is a place for those who enjoy long powdery runs full of effortless turns to people looking to drop the gnarliest crag covered line they can find, to brag, connect, educate, and share their exploits about Juneau’s world class backcountry terrain. As a JBC rider or skier you are a member of ski community within a ski community and to-date a forum has not existed for us to connect with each other and share our relentless desire to achieve the perfect line, whether it is through the reward of a long skin or via snow machine or heli. There are lots of lines out there so ride hard and always remember safety first; its better to turn back today and ride hard tomorrow, than never ride again.
JBC Blog Goals
- Open forum for anyone to submit an entry, be it a basic or comprehensive trip report, photos, video, short story, poem, etc… However the powder inspires you, let if flow.
- Provide a forum for individuals, and groups, to share trip reports with the community to better educate the JBC community on conditions and potential hazards that may exist.
- Connect individuals within the JBC community who may not know each other. It is tough to tell who that little speck killing powdery-turn after powdery-turn on the side of Mt. Stewart is, especially if you bump into him at the checkout line in Foodland and he’s already changed into his civvies.
- Safety First. Promote BC education, etiquette, and safety. You never know who will be out there that you may have to rescue or may rescue you. The more prepared we are as individuals and groups the better off we all are as a community.
Long Term Goals
- Eventually create a website to support the blog and provide greater ability to support content and potential sponsorship of the site, as well as to provide a more visually appealing and unique viewing experience.
- Gear forum, trade, sale, reviews, Q&A, tech talk, etc…
- Promote/Organize Avy Classes, BC awareness, training for search and rescue techniques.
- Equipment rental.
- Create an avenue for avalanche/BC specific rescue training.
- Some kind of Avalanche forecasting/prediction.
- Create/lobby for a BC policy at Eaglecrest.
- Compile a map of terrain in the area and compile agreed upon names for runs/areas people commonly ski (e.g. Wedding Bowl, the Orient, Bunny Toe pass, etc…). As well as provide established routes.
Want to file trip reports? Send me a note at email@example.com and you’ll get signed up to let the community know where you’ve been riding and how it is out there.